Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:53:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, nolan@twu.edu
Subject:   Re: making aliases and/or redirecting a server to another server

>Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:15:19 +0000
>From: "Patricia J. Nolan" <nolan@twu.edu>

>I have two options.....might I ask which one is easier?

>1.  Assign two or more URL addresses to the same IP number (as aliases,
>etc.)
>For example, to have one.twu.edu also be two.twu.edu.

>2. Or, to redirect a server to another URL.  How might this be done?

>I appreciate any feedback on this.  I want to ensure I do this
>correctly.

Well, a given person's experiences & background are likely to play a
significant role in making the determination.

For me, for example, the first alternative would be easier, because for
the second, I'd need to go look something up.  :-)  (Also, in fairness,
I expect that the second would mean that it would be necessary to run a
Web server on each machine, while the first alternative means there's
really only a single machine; it merely happens to have a couple of
names.)

Assuming that your IP address <-> hostanme mappings are being handled
via DNS (which is my preference), there's no problem assigning multiple
hostnames to the same machine (with a single IP address).

You could either have a separate "A" record for each hostname, or have
one "A" record and a "CNAME" record.

You can also assign multiple IP addresses to a single interface (on a
single machine), and thus have the machine respond to any of several IP
addresses (and corresponding hostnames).

Please note, though, that you may want to pay attention to what hostname
& IP address the machine uses for responses....

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621