Date:      Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:36:19 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
To:        S?ren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.org>
Cc:        njl@freebsd.org, "Schlake \(William Colburn\)" <schlake@nmt.edu>, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>, mdodd@freebsd.org, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When will gmirror work in FreeBSD 5?

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 11:21:12PM +0200, S?ren Schmidt wrote:

> On 09/08/2005, at 20:26, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:03:41PM -0600, Schlake (William Colburn)
> >wrote:
> >+> My computer started out with 2 gmirrored drives on FreeBSD 5.
> >Back in
> >+> March I got two new hard drives and gmirrored them for the extra
> >space.
> >+> I quickly discovered that my data was corrupted on writes.  A
> >search of
> >+> the bugs database revealed that this was a known issue
> >+> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/77643).
> >+>
> >+> I'm out of disk space, and I would really like to use my two
> >extra disks
> >+> that have been spinning idle for the past five months, but there
> >has
> >+> been no work on the ticket?
> >
> >There is nothing to fix in gmirror, it should be fixed in ATA code.
> >(CCing sos@, mdodd@ and njl@).
>
> Well, if the HW is as in the PR you better fix that sii3112 by
> getting a real SATA controller.
> After that you should get 6.0 or 5.x + the ATA mkIII patches at
> least, ATA as is in 5.4 is not supported by me, and known to have
> several issues ...
>
> - S?ren

Gmirror with 4 spindles, half on an Intel ICH5 (motherboard) and half on
a 3ware 8000 series card is working for me on both 5.4 and 6.x both in
test and under heavy production loads (in the case of 5.4.)  The loads I
have placed it under for 6.x have been synthetic, but approximating
production in terms of distribution of operations and intensity.

$ uname -v
FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #11: Fri Apr  8 09:48:24 CDT 2005     karl@FS.denninger.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KSD-SMP

The Sii311x series cards have SERIOUS issues including DMA WRITE errors
which apparently are not going to be addressed; I too have an open PR on
this from back in February, and eventually gave up and bought a 3ware card.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org		Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com	Musings Of A Sentient Mind