Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2006 01:34:23 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: custom kernel, make buildkernel and then?

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Hope you can advise me. I have a FreeBSD 6.1 stable system for which I
> want to build a custom kernel. However, I am scared to death (almost
> ;) and just want to make sure I have it done the right way.
>
> I have in the past used supfile with ports-all option and couldn't
> build a custom kernel. Yesterday it dawned on me that I need sources
> for that, not ports. So I ran cvsup with src-all option. Now, I
> followed these steps:
>
> # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> # mkdir /root/kernels
> # cp GENERIC /root/kernels/LISTS
> # ln -s /root/kernels/LISTS
>
> then I used procedure 2 for building the kernel the new way.
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=LISTS
>
> It all went well without any complaint (I was really puzzled - when it
> comes to IT, I usually see half-empty glasses...) but now I wonder. My
> next step is supposed to be make installkernel KERNCONF=LISTS
>
> Is it OK to do it on an already configured system? I have some usual
> applications like php, mysql, apache, exim MTA configured and working.
> So in other words I am trying to build a custom kernel not on a fresh
> install but on an already working system (operating for 25 days). It
> is not a webserver but it is running and needs these apps. My fear is
> that I am likely to break something.
>
> Have I done the right steps? Do you think I can progress with make
> installkernel?
>
> I have also a question about the last command in the recipe:
>
>> Now, shutdown the system and reboot to use your new kernel.
>
> Will shutdown -r now be enough? Or do I have to boot in single user mode?
>
> Sorry if all of these seems obvious. I am new to FreeBSD. Thank you
> very much in advance!
>
> Warm regards,
>
> --
> Zbigniew Szalbot
Building and installing a new custom kernel? Usually the steps consist of:
1. Edit kernel config file.
2. If you have the symlink set correctly, or the file located in the
right place, just run make buildkernel installkernel
KERNCONF=[configfile name] (or if you feel slick, specify the name in
/etc/make.conf and run make buildkernel installkernel).
3. Reboot.
-Garrett