Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:29:16 +1100
From:      Mark.Andrews@nominum.com
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird sporadic DNS resolution problems

	This is a *human* problem not a software problem.

		Garbage In, Garbage Out.

	The best solution is check the DNS servers of all the
	Fortune 500/1000 companies and then call the Wall Stree
	Journal (adjust for your locale) and give them a list of
	the companies that have misconfigured DNS servers.  A bit
	of publicity at this level might just attract the attention
	of other CEO's to ensure that their servers are checked.

	Mark

> At 06:17 PM 1/18/2001 +1100, Gregory Bond wrote:
> > > For what it's worth, my take:
> >
> >This matches some of the things we've noticed here, but in our case sendmail
> >was on a Solaris box using the FreeBSD box as a caching DNS server....  but
> >it's slippery enough that I'm not confident what's going on.
>
> Actually, this sounds very familiar, especially with the BIND
> revs.  Looking through its CHANGES entry, the only thing I could find that
> would vaguely refer to such a change is
>   941.   [bug]           lame server detection wasn't checking for SOA record
> .
>

> I wonder if using BIND 9.x fixes this "bug"
>
>          ---Mike
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com