Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:24:34 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Daniel Eriksson <daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com>
Subject:   Re: Got rid of my SiI3112A

Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:40:41PM +0100, Daniel Eriksson wrote:
>=20
>>Frode Nordahl wrote:
>>

>>>But as things are today, I think it would be best to remove=20
>>>support for=20
>>>SiI3112A. Especially since the general attitude towards it is=20
>>>"it's too=20
>>>broke, we don't want to waste any more time on it".
>>>
>>>Attempting to use it in a 5.3-RELEASE or 6-CURRENT system will most=20
>>>likelly make your system crash and burn, and make your data=20
>>>unrecoverable beyond repair.
>>
>>I will have to agree with Frode on this one. I recently put -CURRENT on=
>>machine with an ASUS mobo that had a SiL 3112 controller. Hooking up tw=
>>250GB WD discs to it quickly resulted in timeouts, followed by some str=
ange
>>messages from geom_stripe (used it to stripe the two discs), followed b=
>>filesystem corruption and panics.
>=20
>=20
> Does anyone know if Soren has one of these controllers?
>=20
> Getting him a poorly-supported controller is the first step towards
> getting it fixed.

I do have a couble of them actually, both the first revision thats=20
*real* bad, and the second which is a hair better...

Needless to say they both work in all my notherboards and with all my=20
SATA disks, alas with the expect occasional timeout and retry...

However, I dont have any real crappy HW around, I dont/wont waste my=20
money on that, so that might explain why :)
--=20

-S=F8ren