Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 2015 17:15:46 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        "Dr. Peter Voigt" <pvoigt@uos.de>
Cc:        Koop Mast <kwm@rainbow-runner.nl>, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with update to print/tex-luatex

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Dr. Peter Voigt <pvoigt@uos.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 13:04:19 -0700
> Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When I tried updating print/tex-luatex today, the install phase
> > failed with a number of missing files. The log showed that the port
> > uses luatex in the install phase but fails due to a missing .so,
> > poppler.so.49. This has been superseded by libpoppler.so.53, but the
> > install was defaulting to the previously built binary, not the newly
> > built one.
> >
> > I was able to get the port installed by deleting the existing port
> > (pkg delete tex-luatex) and
> > deleting work/.stage_done.luatex._usr_local and re-running stage and
> > install.
> >
> > I think a note to that effect should be in UPDATING. Obviously this
> > does impact new installs or poudriere build and probably not package
> > installs, but it does hit upgrades.
> > Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> > E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com
> > PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683
>
> Well, I can confirm this behavior from my today experiences with
> print/tex-luatex. As a result of my upgrade attempt my old
> print/tex-luatex packages was deleted.
>
> I just upgraded all remaining TeXLive packages and tried a fresh
> installation of print/tex-luatex: This time it installed just fine.
>
> I am far from understanding these miracles but I have learned my ports
> lesson: Some package refuse to upgrade while being installed - the
> error messages, however are quite different.
>
> Peter

This is annoyingly common and seldom caught because the standard test
method is a virgin install. It can involve using the wrong header files,
the wrong shareable, or the wrong executable. As the errors can be be
triggered in a variety of ways, they can look quite different. Usually the
log can point out the issue as it did in this case. This was an issue with
libchamplain for years, but was finally fixed.