Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 00:33:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Yuichiro Abe <y_abe@sprynet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: About PPPoE

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Yuichiro Abe wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. Let me put my files. My BSD version is 4.3
> Release.

ok, that's handy to know.

> Here is my previous question.

> > before going in this direction, are you sure your network connection is
> > up? can you ping hosts through the link?

i'm still wanting to know about the above.

but. based on what's below..

> Here is my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file.
>
> default:
>  ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
>  set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
>  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0

ok.

> name_of_service_provider:
>  set device PPPoE:xl0
>  set MRU 1454
>  set MTU 1454
>  set authname login_name@domainname
>  set authkey my password
>  set dial
>  set login
>  add default HISADDR
>  accept CHAP
>  enable dns

ok. stupid question on my part:

	"name_of_service_provider" is set to the name of your ISP,
	or a session name, correct?

	"login_name@domainname" is set to your login address or
	login information, correct?

	"my password" is, i assume, set to your password..

	"PPPoE:xl0" is the interface of your eathernet device..

> Here is my /etc/hosts file.
>
> 127.0.0.1  y-abe.jpn.ph  y-abe        // I got y-abe.jpn.ph from another
> site for Dynamic DNS
> 127.0.0.1  y-abe.jpn.ph.
> 216.175.70.95 y-abe.jpn.ph  y-abe    // IP address is from that site.
> 216.175.70.95 y-abe.jpn.ph.

ok, on 127.0.0.1. you should leave that line as "127.0.0.1 localhost
localhost.domain" (with domain set to your TLD, of course).

> Q: domain name must be from my ISP?

should be, yes. it can be something else too, you know.

> Here is my /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup file.
>
> provider:
>     delete ALL
>     add 0 0 HISADDR
> ----

that should be fine.

> Here is my /etc/resolv.conf file.
>
> domain y-abe.jpn.ph
>     nameserver 216.175.70.95
>     nameserver 216.175.70.95

that's fine too. you shouldn't need those first spaces though. if all goes
well, the ppp program should set up DNS for you.

> Here is my /etc/rc.conf file.
>
> gateway_enable="YES"
> network_interfaces="lo0 tun0" ifconfig_tun0=
> router_enable="NO"

huh. ok, this may be a problem. in /etc/defaults/rc.conf there is a

	network_interfaces="auto"

that should handle the machine's interfaces just fine.

also, remove the "ifconfig_tun0".

> ppp_enable="NO"            // I put NO because when I boot BSD, I always get
> the error message.
> ppp_mode="ddial"
> ppp_nat="YES"
> ppp_profile="default" # or your provider

ok, the ppp_profile should be set to the name of the session you want to
use..

> My kernel file is below:
> options  NETGRAPH
> options  NETGRAPH_ETHER
> options  NETGRAPH_PPPOE
> options  NETGRAPH_SOCKET
>

> Is there something wrong in my files? Please help me. Thank you.

other than the things mentioned up above, they should be fine.

-- jan