Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2014 19:02:00 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Bernhard_Fr=C3=B6hlich?= <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: audio/lame RESTRICTED status

Am 17.09.2014 16:51 schrieb "Ben Woods" <woodsb02@gmail.com>:

> Looking at the mp3licensing website it says encoders AND players need a
> license.
>
> So how can multimedia/mplayer be distributed as a binary package, for
> example?
>
> Also, I suspect there may be other FreeBSD packages which bundle lame and
> are distributed as binaries...

Yeah, if someone is willing to generate a list of such ports I'm sure it
would help to improve the situation. It's not only mp3 but also exfat, h264
and many other codecs. Many ports like vlc and mplayer have mp3 support
disabled per default which means they are safe.

We are definitely not very accurate at following that patent stuff in the
portstree at the moment.