Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 14:40:41 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Joachim Strombergson <watchman@ludd.luth.se>, FreeBSD-Audit <audit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Patch to add nic-se to whois

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 11:32:08AM +0100, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:
> Joachim Strombergson wrote:
> > Trying my hands at contributing and hacking FreeBSD again.
> >
> > This is an adaption of a patch from OpenBSD that adds nic-se as one of
> > the databases whois knows about.
> >
> > Could someone look at the patch and see if it's an ok patch? Also is
> > this something we should add to the system?
>
> This sounds like a welcome addition except for
> the fact that I'm wondering what will happen if
> 20 other countries need to have their servers
> added to whois. We cannot really use the same
> strategy without adopting a bigger alphabet :-)
>
> Wouldn't a more scalable solution be to accept
> the -s flag followed by a country code like so:
>  whois -s SE
>  whois -s BE
>  whois -s DE
>  whois -s NL
> ?
>
> The '-s' would than stand for 'server'.

Sounds like a great idea!  Joachim, are you interested in revamping whois(1)
this way? :)  If not, I could take it up..

There could be several issues here: does whois(1) work with hard-coded
server names, or does it take the country code -> server name mappings
from a file, or both?  I guess the best way would be to check a file
if it exists, then if no match was found, use a hardcoded table.

This would render the -R (RIPN, .ru) switch obsolete, but I do not think
that the global, non-country-specific registries should be removed
(not that Jeroen has proposed this, just to make it clear :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
.siht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI