Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:03:48 -0800
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gdkxft + gnome 1.4 + gdm on FreeBSD 4.7p3

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 09:24  AM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 03:16, Mark Edwards wrote:
>> Well, the directions claim its simple, but try as I might, I can't get
>> font anti-aliasing to save my life!  I've tried following the gdkxft
>> README, but I still can't make gdkxft do anything useful.
>>
>> Is there some trick to getting it working with gdm?  Should I have an
>> Xsession.d or an xinitrc.d directory somewhere (creating them in
>> /etc/X11 doesn't do squat).
>
> You will need to move the gdm startup out of /etc/ttys, and create a
> /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d script for it.  In that script, set the LD_PRELOAD
> (I think that's what gdkxft requires) variable, and you should be good
> to go.
>
> Joe

Can you point me to a description of how to do this?  All the
documentation I've found describes starting gdm from /etc/ttys, and I'm
not exactly sure how to translate that over to an rc.d script.

Also, will setting LD_PRELOAD this way affect gnome after login, or
will it just affect gdm?

I tried setting LD_PRELOAD by hand in a term window after logging in,
and then launching a gnome app like mozilla, and I still didn't see
anti-aliased text.  Does this indicate further problems?

Thanks for you help!

--
Mark Edwards
San Francisco, CA