Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:23:22 +1000
From:      young@richardson.apana.org.au
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, mycotropic@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: it just goes on and on.......

Been there done that ....... many times :)

The only way I've ever been able to do this is install only one
NIC first, get it working properly, then add the second one.
I've never had any NIC installation problems that way .... I have
only ever used the better NIC's though (3-com, Intel, SMC) and
never one of those el-junko taiwanese generic NE2000 disasters.

i am one very short step from just giving up on this install

the most current problem - not counting the hours of trying to get anything
to work - is getting any ethernet cards to work in any way;

i need to have 2 cards to bridge 2 subnets
they are in the machine
they are 3com
i have addresses for both subnets
they are pluged in
the jacks are live
the machine is on
unfortunately i have NO eo0 or eo1 or vx0 or vx1
thats about all there is to work with
wont mount eo0 or eo1 or vx0 or vx1

so how in the world do you mount an ethernet device????
the networking comands exist in rc.config!!!!
(for one of them anyway)
where are the devices?
i certainly cant find them!

and i cant recompile the kernal, inserting them, cause i cant find the
kernel source on the location specified in the book!!!
i TOLD the install wizard to install all of the /src
but apparently it descided not to!

anyway - i am 4 more hours into an instilation that is about 12 hours old
and STILL CANT FIND AN IP ADDRESS!!!

thanks all

greg kinney