Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 00:55:04 -0700
From:      "Heredity Choice" <stork@QNET.COM>
To:        "Paul Fu, Jr." <quark@pacbell.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Problems with installation

When you delete the drivers for everything you don't have, you hopefully
will have no conflicts. Sometimes it is helpful temporarily to remove
nonessential hardware, or at least not install drivers for it.

When your install freezes you must have a close look at the last line. IRQ
12 is normally used by a PS/2 mouse, which has a little round connector. If
you are using a serial mouse, which has a 9-pin connector to the serial
port, it should be on interrupt 3 or 4. Check that there is not an
unsupported PS/2 mouse plugged in the back.

When you get past these hurtles, you will run into a few more. Any a.out
package will not install until you reboot after installing compat22.

You will need to use a text editor. Unless you are really comfortable with
vi or Emacs, I recommend you install Joe and use JPICO, which emulates
Pine's Pico.

If you want to run PPP dialup, you will need the text editor to edit
/etc/host.conf, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/ppp/ppp.conf. There
is more to do than when configuring Microsoft or Linux, but the result is
worth the effort. Read all you can, including the good articles in
www.daemonnews.org.

Paul Smith