Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:49:48 -0500
From:      damien@carroll.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sharing a SCSI bus with 2 controllers

Is it possible to share a SCSI device with two different controllers? I
have a tape backup that I want to share with two systems, and I want them
to be both connected at the same time. I have connected both controllers to
the tape backup, made sure that they were configured as different device
numbers, and re-booted both systems. One is a Windows Machine, the other is
a BSD box. Both of the controllers are the same (Adaptec 29160N) The BSD
box is complaining about seeing SCSI bus resets on the bus:

  ahc0: Someone reset channel A

What is the correct way to do this (if it is at all possible)? Are there
special kernel or hardware settings required for this to work properly?

Thanks for your help.

---
Damien Tougas
Systems Administrator