Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:57:56 -0800
From:      Nicholas Esborn <nick@carbon.berkeley.netdot.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   fxtv capture raw AV file

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

Hello, folks.

I've been using fxtv happily for a couple months now to archive my VHS tape
collection.

I've run into difficulty capturing large movies, however, mainly because the
encoder I use (mpeg2encode) takes input from individual frame files.  This
means that I have to have more than twice the size of the AV file available
in free disk space, because the AV file is not deleted until all the frames
are extracted and saved.

I was wondering if it would be possible to free filesystem blocks once their
contents have been saved to frame files.  I'm not familiar with filesystem
APIs, so I'm not sure if/how this could be done.  If it could, though, it
would be a tremendous improvement in fxtv's functionality for me.

Thanks all

-nick

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD--