Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 10:58:51 -0600
From:      Bob Greene <rgreene@tclme.org>
To:        William Wong <willwong@samurai.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba and Windows 2000

William Wong wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Has anyone noticed that changing/listing folders under win2k through samba
> shares is much slower than with Windows 98?
>
> For me the file transfers themselves seem to be spiffier under win2k, but
> looking through folders can be quite slow.
>
> Regards,
> - Will

Check out http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q245/8/00.asp
(intuitive, ain't it?)  Brian livingston covered this in InfoWorld, vol.
23 issue 11

I have an office full of Win2k boxes that have shown better performance
after this hack.

Use regedit32 to locate:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace

Save the key {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} to a file so you can
restore it easily and then delete it from the registry.

--
Bob Greene
rgreene@TclMe.org