Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:19:06 +0300
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        "Thomas Connolly" <tconnolly@electrosoftsolutions.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ethernet card problem

<freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 8:35 AM
> Subject: Re: Ethernet card problem
>

> On Dec 09, at 08:47 PM, Thomas Connolly wrote:
> >
> > In another thread, Thomas wrote:
> > >  My NIC is a pci card.  Do I still have to mess with my BIOS?
[...]
> > pci1: <Matrox MGA G100 AGP graphics accelerator> at 0.0 irq 9
---->                         I'd say this is not very good ^^^^^

[...]
> > uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> at device 4.2 on pci0
> > uhci0: Could not map ports
> > device_probe_and_attach: uhci0 attach returned 6
> > chip1: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> port 0x2180-0x218f at device 4.3 on pci0
[...]
> > dc0: <Intel 21143 10/100BaseTX> at device 13.0 on pci0
> > dc0: couldn't map ports/memory
> > device_probe_and_attach: dc0 attach returned 6
[...]
Looks like there's still some conflict (irq?)

> In BIOS, you should be able to zero in on the PCI bus stuff easily enough.
> Within that, several slot options. I can't tell you specifically what to
> look for or change though; different BIOSes use different words and phrases
> to describe the same things. A shot in the dark: Disable Plug-n-Play.

One more shot-in-the-dark: In the BIOS near "PnP OS: Yes/No"
(Choose No, as others said)
you'll see the line something like "Reset configuration (data)"
Make it Yes, and exit from BIOS with "Save", then BIOS will be forced
to reassign PnP/PCI resources for your hardware.

This helped me a number of times.

Oh, and when you boot off CD first time, you can select "Visual
config". Delete here _everyting_ you are sure you don't need
(or have). This will simplify device probing a little.

HTH,
Igor