Date:      05 Aug 2003 20:05:14 +0000
From:      "Kirk R. Wythers" <kwythers@umn.edu>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sendmail configuration

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 19:43, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Kirk R. Wythers wrote:
> [ ... ]
> > OK... not space between the install and -cf 'make install-cf
> > CF=neighborsunited'
> >
> > gives the message
> >
> > root@lorax:133 make install-cf CF=neighborsunited.net
> > install -m 444 lorax.forestry.umn.edu.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>
> That's right.  Now do a "make restart".

Did it

> > How can I tell (other than new lists created with mailman still do not
> > send messages), if this worked. Me thinks it is still broken...
>
> Try:
>
> 	echo "3,0 postmaster@lorax.forestry.umn.edu" | sendmail -bt
>
> ...and see whether it gets rewritten to "neighborsunited.net".
root@lorax:165 echo "3,0 postmaster@lorax.forestry.umn.edu" | sendmail
-bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
> canonify           input: postmaster @ lorax . forestry . umn . edu
Canonify2          input: postmaster < @ lorax . forestry . umn . edu >
Canonify2        returns: postmaster < @ x74-47 . forestry . umn . edu .

canonify         returns: postmaster < @ x74-47 . forestry . umn . edu .

parse              input: postmaster < @ x74-47 . forestry . umn . edu .

Parse0             input: postmaster < @ x74-47 . forestry . umn . edu .

Parse0           returns: postmaster < @ x74-47 . forestry . umn . edu .

ParseLocal         input: postmaster < @ x74-47 . forestry . umn . edu .

ParseLocal       returns: postmaster < @ x74-47 . forestry . umn . edu .

Parse1             input: postmaster < @ x74-47 . forestry . umn . edu .

Parse1           returns: $# local $: postmaster
parse            returns: $# local $: postmaster

Nope... seems to still be writing to the uname of the machine

> > shouldn't there be some reference to:
> >
> > MASQUERADE_AS(`neighborsunited.org')dnl FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
> >
> > in sendmail.cf?
>
> Yes, you should see a like like:
>
> #####  $Id: masquerade_envelope.m4,v 8.9 1999/02/07 07:26:10 gshapiro Exp $  ###
> ##
>
> ...near the beginning of the .cf file, and lines like:
>
> # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
> DMneighborsunited.net

I'm not seeing anything like that...

root@lorax:169 grep masquerade *.cf
freebsd.cf:# class E: names that should be exposed as from this host,
even if we masquerade
freebsd.cf:###  Ruleset 93 -- convert header names to masqueraded form
###
freebsd.cf:# do not masquerade anything in class N
freebsd.cf:###  Ruleset 94 -- convert envelope names to masqueraded
form       ###
freebsd.submit.cf:# class E: names that should be exposed as from this
host, even if we masquerade
freebsd.submit.cf:###  Ruleset 93 -- convert header names to masqueraded
form  ###
freebsd.submit.cf:# do not masquerade anything in class N
freebsd.submit.cf:###  Ruleset 94 -- convert envelope names to
masqueraded form###
lorax.forestry.umn.edu.cf:# class E: names that should be exposed as
from this host, even if we masquerade
lorax.forestry.umn.edu.cf:###  Ruleset 93 -- convert header names to
masqueraded form   ###
lorax.forestry.umn.edu.cf:# do not masquerade anything in class N
lorax.forestry.umn.edu.cf:###  Ruleset 94 -- convert envelope names to
masqueraded form ###
sendmail.cf:# class E: names that should be exposed as from this host,
even if we masquerade
sendmail.cf:###  Ruleset 93 -- convert header names to masqueraded form
###
sendmail.cf:# do not masquerade anything in class N
sendmail.cf:###  Ruleset 94 -- convert envelope names to masqueraded
form      ###
submit.cf:# class E: names that should be exposed as from this host,
even if we masquerade
submit.cf:###  Ruleset 93 -- convert header names to masqueraded form
###
submit.cf:# do not masquerade anything in class N
submit.cf:###  Ruleset 94 -- convert envelope names to masqueraded form
###
root@lorax:170

To recap, here is what I tried from /et/mail:
1. cp freebsd.mc neighborsunited.net.mc
2. emacs neighborsunited.net.mc and added the lines:

	MASQUERADE_AS(`neighborsunited.net')dnl
	FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
above the lines:
	MAILER(local)
	MAILER(smtp)
3. make
4. make install-cf CF=neighborsunited.net
5. make restart

what am I messing up here?

THanks