Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:45:42 -0600
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@just.puresimplicity.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Unusual SCSI problem...

Hi,

	I've got a PC164LX, 533MHz 21164A and 1G RAM. I'm trying
to use a Symbios/LSI Logic SYM22910 dual-channel, U2W SCSI controller
with various hard drives. With some drives (specifically IBM
DDYS-34560 UW drives) everything appears to function just fine,
However, with other drives the controller and SRM see the drive,
but exer_werite on the drive doesn't work and FreeBSD doesn't see
the drive. During boot of the 5.0 miniinst CD I get (noperiph:sym0:-1:-1)
or something of the sort for both channels after the "waiting 15
seconds for SCSI devices" message appears.

	Some wise Alpha people (in #Alpha on freenode; #FreeBSD-alpha
seems to be fairly empty a lot of the time) advised me to "chmod
+w dka300.3.0.6.0", which worked fine and gave me no errors. At
that point I was able to "exer -a w dka300" just fine, as well as
exer_write the drive, but FreeBSD's dmesg still didn't show a drive
present.

	What gives? The drives are jumpered properly, the same
drives/cables/controller/terminators work fine in an x86 machine
and the 4.5G IBM drives all work fine in the Alpha...Why won't the
other drives?. I've updated the controller's firmware and the drive's
firmware when applicable.

	I've tried just about everything I can think of. Any ideas
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh