Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:20:21 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnisec.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dag-Erling =?utf-8?q?Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Subject:   Re: ichwd and teethless watchdogd

Am Donnerstag, 23. August 2007 12:18:03 schrieb Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav:
> Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnisec.de> writes:
> > I had tested the ich 6/7/8 ichwd patch some months ago on a ich7 FSC
> > machine and it worked fine.  On my ich8 desktop probing found ichwd0
> > but it didn't work. My new ich9 machine doesn't show ichwd0.
>
> It should work on ICH9 if you add the correct PCI ID.
>
> > But now (with -current after imported ichwd patch) I also have
> > problems on an Intel Server board with ich7.  SIGKILL to watchdogd
> > should reboot the machine, right?
>
> Yes.
>
> > It doesn't, but probing reports two times ichwd0.
>
> A verbose dmesg would be nice.

Here are the relevant lines:

ichwd0: <Intel ICH7 watchdog timer> on isa0
isab0: found ICH7 or equivalent chipset: Intel ICH7 watchdog timer
ichwd0: Intel ICH7 watchdog timer (ICH7 or equivalent)
ichwd0: timer disabled

After watchdogd has started I get this message every second:
ichwd0: timer reloaded

I guess the ichwd is hardware disabled by the bios.
Can this be corrected somehow?
The BIOS of that Intel server motherboard is somewhat horrible. No AHCI=20
support, no console redirectiojn for the RAID setup, only one mode in VGA=20
BIOS and now ichwd disabled. I'll stay with FujitsuSiemens.

=2DHarry