Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 1996 21:40:26 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        pete@puffin.pelican.com (Pete Carah)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System hangs with S3-Trio64 and networking.

(Please excuse the bulk quoting; I'm trying to maintain context...)

Pete Carah stands accused of saying:
>>Sergey S. Kosyakov stands accused of saying:
>>> I have Pentium-120 with 32 MB RAM and Diamond Stealth-64 2 MB DRAM
>>> (S3-Trio64) PCI card. When I start ping from xterm %25 or more pings
>>> loss. When I start some network applications under X (like ftp or
>>> netscape) system hangs.  I tried "de" (Digital 21041 PCI Ethernet
>>> card) and "ed" (SMC8216) - the situation is the same.
>>>
>>> Can somebody help me to fix this problem ?
>
>> (I said)
>>Had any progress here yet?  I'm sure you have a hardware problem; you should
>>try resetting your BIOS configurations back to their default values.
>>Also check your ethernet cable.
>
> Well, I've now seen this on two systems; one a P100/ASUS P55TP4XE with
> PB cache and either a Diamond Stealth PCI 64 (the Dram version),
> or a ISA Fahrenheit 1280+. Originally I suspected the PB cache and have
> bought 256k of static (but not gotten around to testing it yet).
> The hang happens on either card in the same circumstances so the mmap
> of the PCI card probably isn't an issue.
>
> The other is a 486 VLB using a VLB Fahrenheit card.  The P100 reliably
> locks up totally (red-button time) after one or two pixmap loads (I
> think; whatever X mode xli uses).  Netscape usually displays pictures
> very slowly and often gets further, but usually will lock the system
> too.  I can run line-draw stuff (e.g. ico) all day without hangs.
> The 486 belongs to a friend and has locked up twice, both during X
> operations of some kind.  I haven't gotten a good handle on the
> exact circumstances of his lockup.  Mine often puts random garbage
> on the screen during the hang process, at least on the PCI card, so
> it appears to be spraying memory somehow.
>
> Both of these two run XF86 3.1.2 ftp'd from cdrom.com under the 2.1.0-RELEASE
> directory.
>
> I've not seen this at home on a 486 running -stable and X 3.1.1 so
> there may be something amiss in the 3.1.2 driver; was it maybe compiled
> with -O2 and not the strength-reduce defeat?

No, I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the X server or with
FreeBSD.  I run a number of S3 cards both PCI and VLB on systems using both
the ed and de network drivers with no problems whatsoever.

One of these systems (my workstation) is thrashed heavily on a regular basis;
it serves a network of half a dozen Windows/diskless FreeBSD machines and
routes the link into our office.  I usually have two or three Xemacs' and
a copy of netscape open on it and have occasionally run it out of swap (100M).

This is a 100MHz P5 on a Soyo Triton board using a #9 V771 (S3 968) and a
Compex Enet32 PCI (DE21040).  Next to it on the bench is a DX4/100 with a
noname Trio-64 card and another Enet32-PCI that runs -current 'make world's
mixed with IDL (Heavy X-based graphics).

The machine I'm writing this on is a stock 2.1-RELEASE DX2/66 with a
VLB Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM.  It's currently NFS-serving a 'make world'
on another host, as well as running Netscape and a handful of other X
stuff.

None of these machines have ever given any X or network related trouble,
nor have those of a considerable number of other people with similar
configurations.

I would be _very_ suspicious of your hardware or configuration.  I
certainly wouldn't go suggesting that it's a software thing; that's common
PC wisdom for the Windows world, but not here.

> -- Pete

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[