Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 01:47:19 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        "Leif Neland" <leif@neland.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A can ping C, but not B

At 23:31 12.02.00 +0100, you wrote:
>I got 4 machines at home on an Ethernet coax.
>A-B-C-D.
>B is FreeBSD server (samba), the rest is win98 (C is split win/fbsd).
>
>C and D talks fine to B. A talks nicely to C (haven't tried to D), but very
>poorly to B.
>I got ping losses of 1 out of 3 to 4 from A to B, but no loss A to C.
>
>I then took the T-plug from A and put it on a hub, and UTP from hub to A.
>Still 100% from A to C, but now no ping at all from A to B!
>
>What's going on? Standing waves? I got proper terminators either end.
>
>The cable is assembled of well 10 shorter pieces with "empty" T-plugs, could
>that be a problem?
Hi!

Yes, that is a very big problem, since the signal gets reflected at every
opening of the T-plug. Even if you do that with the special connectors, you
will realize severe problems. Windows also does some retries with high
timeout values, and therefore gets at least something through, but as a BSD
box reacts somewhat different, it tells you what happened directly by
slowing down. The prob is that Win always reacts somewhat sluggish, so you
cannot notice the difference between failure and normal op...

Cables are cheap now, simply buy a new one, or (if you have combo cards)
throw away the coax and go for TP cabling.

(If you have trouble finding approp. length there in DK for a reasonable
price, mail me privately... )

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)