Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:28:14 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Ray Kohler" <ray.kohler@mail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail no longer happy with hostname lookup

rkohler1> Maybe I've missed something here, but recently (mayeb last week or
rkohler1> so?) sendmail started to hang for a bit while booting and will no
rkohler1> longer send any mail even when it does finish booting. I'm using the
rkohler1> default sendmail config (the only thing I need it for is to read the
rkohler1> output of cron jobs and run fetchmail). The problem for me is that I
rkohler1> don't have a "real" IP, it's DHCP-assigned from the nonroutable
rkohler1> 192.168.1.0/8 subnet. My /etc/hosts entry for this box just gives it
rkohler1> an IP of 0.0.0.0, I don't know what else to do for it. How can I get
rkohler1> my mail working again?

You might consider setting this:

confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES  DontProbeInterfaces
					[False] If set, sendmail will _not_
					insert the names and addresses of any
					local interfaces into class {w}
					(list of known "equivalent" addresses).

Without it, sendmail will try a reverse DNS lookup on each interface
address.