Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 23:17:18 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building Kernel on Minimal Install

In article <000b01bec822$982a39e0$1200a8c0@gsicomp.on.ca>,
Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca> wrote:
: What is the easiest way to get a custom kernel for my machine without
: upgrading any of my others??

Easiest, if not fastest: Make a *complete* copy of your machine on
a random empty directory of some other FreeBSD machine. Chroot
into that directory, cd /, and then su - root. Then you're almost
running a clone of your machine. The only differences are that
you're using the other kernel and that some things, like /proc,
won't be "live". But within that chroot area, you shouldn't have
any trouble doing a config, compile, and link.

About the only thing I can think of that would keep this from
working is if your machine is running ELF and the other machine is
still a.out.