Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 10:32:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        DAVID_SLOUGH@NSDGATE3.nsd.fmc.com (DAVID SLOUGH)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install HELP! - kernel panic during install

DAVID SLOUGH stands accused of saying:

>      I have searched just about everything in doco/lists on the FreeBSD
>      site I could for an answer to this one and have had no luck.  During
>      sysinstall while copying files in the /bin directory the boot image
>      will call a panic for an "unknown/reserved trap", sync disks with 1 or
>      84, and reboot.  This has occurred on every install try.

This is almost certainly a hardware problem.

>      Machine config:
>
>      486 DX2/66
>      PVI-486SP3 Mother Board - 3 PCI/1 VLB/3 ISA

Normally I would slag your motherboard/cache hardware, however these
boards are actually pretty good stuff.  Try disabling the WriteBack cache
option (go to WriteThrough).

If this doesn't win you, set the "BIOS Default" settings.  Make sure the
"chipset setup" stuff is set to "Auto-Detect" too.

If you're still bombing, it's almost certainly your memory.  Despite
assurances in the manual, make sure you're using 70ns memory parts, and
that you are _not_ using a 30-72pin SIMM adapter.

>      What am I missing here? Should disk geometry be different?  Is there a
>      known flaky component in my config?

Whatever you do, don't dump the motherboard; it's one of the faster 486
boards around 8)