Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:14:26 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: PATCH: Removal of unneeded <sys/kernel.h>

> In message <20000427094411.G43932@freebie.lemis.com>, Greg Lehey writes:
> >On Wednesday, 26 April 2000 at 11:50:11 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >>
> >> New patch at: http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc/sys_kernel_h.patch
> >>
> >> This patch removes 67 unneeded instances of #include <sys/kernel.h>
> >>
> >> Comments, tests and reviews please.
> >
> >Have you checked that there are no references which are #ifdefed out?
>
> Yes, the src/tools/tools/kerninclude script first renames the include
> and if the source file still compiles it declares a "no-read" and
> leaves the #include intact.

The thing that's screwed me up the most doing this sort of thing is
something like:

  #include <net/if_tun.h>         /* For TUNS* ioctls */
  #ifdef TUNSIFMODE
    /* Make sure we're POINTOPOINT */
    iff = IFF_POINTOPOINT;
    if (ID0ioctl(bundle.dev.fd, TUNSIFMODE, &iff) < 0)
      log_Printf(LogERROR, "bundle_Create: ioctl(TUNSIFMODE): %s\n",
                 strerror(errno));
  #endif

hence the comments beside many of the includes in ppp.  I think the
only way to ensure something really can be removed is to compile with
& without and ensure that the resulting object is the same modulo
embedded compile dates.

Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>