Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 13:50:31 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with syscons in VESA mode

Hi,

I'm using non-standard 100x37 console mode on my notebook, because in 80x25
text mode letters seems too big for my 12' panel, while other modes doesn't
cover all panel size. So I've patched vidcontrol to switch to the VESA_800x600
100x37 mode (instead of default 80x25) with 8x16 font, and in most cases all
works just fine (including ncurses and dialog bases apps), but sometimes when
I'm building world or some other app text suddenly shifts from the edge of the
screen by several spaces and all text passed to the console after that also
being printed with that offset. For example:

bash$ make someapp
[...]
blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla
        [...]
        bash$ ls
        a b c d
        bash$
        [...]

I've also found that this effect disappears by switching to the other virtual
console and returning to the misbehaving one.

I've did some tests to find out what exactly should be passed to the console to
trigger this misbehaviour and found that following string being printed when
mergemaster is executing expose that (please note that this should be ONE
CONTINUOUS STRING):

for i in answer   isdntel.sh  record   tell   tell-record ; do  install -c -o
root -g wheel -m 700 $i /var/tmp/temproot/etc/isdn ;  done ;  for i in
isdnd.rates.D   isdnd.rates.F   isdnd.rates.UK.BT  isdnd.rc.sample
isdntel.alias.sample ; do  install -c -o root -g wheel -m 600 $i
/var/tmp/temproot/etc/isdn ;  done

Sincerely,

Maxim