Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 14:57:52 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Beta Testers For Applixware?

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 11:49:00PM -0800, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> I actually I really quite like 3.0. I am still working on cleaning out etc
> properly (what's this "periodic" thingy doing here?).
>
> I don't know what you guys did but my kernel build times went from 30
> minutes to 2 minutes. That's a plus any way I look at it as I often play
> with scrap hardware that floats around campus. You would be amazed at the
> stuff people throw away. I even have an Intel PCI network card.

I just made sure that everything repected the dependency system Peter
created, and then activated the build based on dependencies by
default.  This means you won't be rebuilding anything beyond what is
necessary on a re-build - but it also means that 'make depend' is now
critical for getting the right result (unless you blow away the
compile directory, e.g. by specifying 'config -r').

Eivind.