Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 01:28:21 +0900
From:      Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        nobu@rd.isac.co.jp
Cc:        gnats-admin@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha/17032: strtod(3) floating exception

At Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:17:38 +0900,
Nobuhiro Yasutomi <nobu@rd.isac.co.jp> wrote:

>   I checked my send-pr alpha/17032 problem.
>
>   The problem live in src/lib/libc/stdlib/strtod.c source code.
> The source code assume sizeof(long)==4, then bounded value make
> to be exception.

FreeBSD/alpha uses strtod.c obtained from NetBSD,
i.e. src/lib/libc/stdlib/netbsd_strtod.c.

Try to compile netbsd_strtod.c with -mieee option and link against your
sample program. It works fine here.

>   Well, There is need fix to mach. Then I tried import from NetBSD
> source code and hacked that. It seem to work.
>
> Based NetBSD-current source as
>     $NetBSD: strtod.c,v 1.33 1999/11/26 07:39:45 msaitoh Exp $

If recent netbsd's strtod.c works without `-mieee', it must be nice.

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PGP public key: finger -l simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp