Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2014 17:48:40 +0100
From:      Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing from running FreeBSD

Hello,

I have a server running FreeBSD 9.2-p15. I want to upgrade it to release 10.1 with minimal shutdown so I'm thinking about installing 10.1 in a new partition running the 10.1 installer from 9.2., configure the system, install and configure ports, and then restart with 10.1. I never did it before nor know if it can be done and some questions emerge:

a) Did someone tried it before?
b) Can it be done safety/ly?
c) How can I install ports or pkgs in 10.1 partition from 9.2, perhaps with the pkg jail (-j) option?

Thanks in advence

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>