Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2013 08:57:53 +0200
From:      Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Fernando =?iso-8859-1?Q?Apestegu=EDa?= <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] Staging, packaging and more

--d9ADC0YsG2v16Js0

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 08:32:59AM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> > > What's wrong with devel packages?
> >=20
> > It complicates things for developers and custom software on
> > FreeBSD. The typical situation that I see on most Linux platforms is a
> > lot of confusion by people, why their custom software XYZ does not
> > properly build - the most common answer: they forgot to install a
> > tremendous amount of dev packages, containing headers, build tools and
> > whatnot.
> > On FreeBSD, you can rely on the fact that if you installed e.g. libGL,
> > you can start building your own GL applications without the need to
> > install several libGL-dev, libX11-dev, ... packages first.
> > This is something, which I personally see as a big plus of the FreeBSD
> > ports system and which makes FreeBSD attractive as a development platfo=
rm.
> >=20
>=20
> On the other ends, that makes the package fat for embedded systems, that =
also
> makes some arbitrary runtime conflicts between packages (because they both
> provide the same symlink on the .so, while we could live with 2 version at
> runtime), that leads to tons of potential issue while building locally, a=
nd
> that makes having sometime insane issues with dependency tracking. Why ha=
ving
> .a, .la, .h etc in production servers? It could greatly reduce PBI size, =
etc.
>=20
> Personnaly I do have no strong opinion in one or another direction. Shoul=
d we be
> nicer with developers? with end users? with embedded world? That is the q=
uestion
> to face to decide if -devel packages is where we want to go or not.
>=20

If we chose to go down that path, at least we should chose a different
name as we've used the -devel suffix for many years for developmental
versions.

I must agree that it is one of the things high on my list of things that
irritate me with several Linux distributions but I can see the point for
for embedded systems as well.  But can't we have both?  Create three
packages, a default full package and split packages of -bin, -lib,
and even -doc.  My first though twas to make the full package a
meta-package that would install the split packages in the background,
but that would probably be confusing for users at the end of the day, so
rather just have it be a real package.

Erwin

--=20
Erwin Lansing                                    http://droso.dk