Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:12:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        alexandr@louie.udel.edu (Jerry Alexandratos)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Help With GCC!!!

Jerry Alexandratos writes:

> Hi.  I'm trying to install gcc with cross-compiler support (why use a pc
> when all I need to do is compile software for it?).  8)

What are you using, then?  FreeBSD only runs on PCs.

> Anyway, I was rooting through /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc and I noticed a
> README that told me to steer clear and get the complete gcc sources and
> use those for me to play with.
>
> Let me stop right there and let you all know that I'm using 2.1-STABLE
> with gcc 2.6.3.  It's on a Gateway 2000 P5-75 (though for the question
> at hand, I don't think that's really relivant).

Agreed.

> Back to my story.  Looking around the mit archives, I see a 2.5.8
> tarball, and diffs for 2.6.0 to 2.6.3.  The diffs for 2.5.8 to 2.6.0 say
> that there were many changes and to just get the "latest" tarfile.
>
> I would've just grabbed 2.7.2, but I remember reading somewhere that
> FreeBSD hasn't jumped to that version yet because of a bunch of bugs and
> other problems.

The problems with 2.7.2 are exaggerated.  I'm using it for everything.
I believe it will soon become standard on 2.2.

> So, does anyone know where I can find a 2.6.3 tarball or at the very
> least a 2.6.0 that I can then apply the patches onto.

I'd strongly recommend you get 2.7.2 (or 2.7.3, if it's already out;
release is supposed to be imminent) from
ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gcc-2.7.2.tar.gz.

> Also, any pointers or tips on cross-compiling won't be turned away. 8)

Nothing in general.  Let me know if you run into problems.

Greg