Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:58:33 +0100
From:      Tore Lund <tl32@next.online.no>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIDI input device

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2008, Tore Lund wrote:
>> Asking about MIDI here may be somewhat like flogging an absent horse.
>> There seems to be little if any information on mailing lists and other
>> forums about MIDI, so I have to ask:  Does MIDI input work at all on
>> FreeBSD?  And if so, with what sort of MIDI interface?
>>

> Hi,
>
> I have used FreeBSD-current (USB2) with an external USB MIDI adapter and
> several MIDI devices.
>
> The current USB2 MIDI solution is not well integrated into the FreeBSD MIDI
> system. What you get is a raw device to get/put MIDI commands. This basically
> works, but not with all MIDI applications.

I am glad to hear that something works, even if it is not "well
integrated".  Is this USB2 MIDI solution documented anywhere?  I find it
strange if no MIDI interfaces can be used out of the box.  However,
available comments on MIDI on FreeBSD indicate that this may indeed be
the situation.

> Depending on where you are living in Norway I can give you a personal demo :-)
> Hence I like playing the piano and recording using MIDI ...

I live in the suburbs of Oslo.  It would be nice to get that personal
demo, but it is a little beside the point.  I would much rather hear
about the software and hardware that you and others are using for
running softsynths and MIDI on FreeBSD.
--
    Tore