Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:40:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        michael dorin <mike@chaski.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routing help needed!

On Wed, Oct 22, 1997 at 05:56:36PM +0000, michael dorin wrote:

> Recently I posted a message regarding getting ppp going between
> my isp and my small network.  ppp is working fine, but I can't seem
> to route anything using bsd as the gateway, except stuff the comes
> off of bsd.
>
> How do I route things from the ethernet over to the network?
>
> I have six static ip address.
>
> xxx.xxx.xxx.233 is where the ppp connection comes up.
> xxx.xxx.xxx.234,235,236,237,238 are my other routed addresses.
>
> How can I do this?

You turn IP forwarding on:

  # sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

You can do this automatically at boot time by setting the following
line in /etc/rc.conf:

gateway_enable="YES"		# Set to YES if this host will be a gateway.

> How can I route packets for a machine named xxx.xxx.xxx.234 to the
> internet?

You tell the machine that X.233 is the Internet gateway.  Make sure
your net mask is set correctly: 255.255.255.248.

Greg