Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:20:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Performance Question

> > 	IMHO, probally enough to make it a worthwhile project.
>
> May I ask why you believe that?

	Personal preferance mostly... I like taking computers apart and
putting them back together. :) Thinking about it more, like Greg said you
may get worse.. :( I guess it's going to depend on the hardware mostly.
In my office it'd be worth it easily, I've got tons of 486s that need
help. If you've got SCSI at all, an IDE drive for swap would be uselss.

> > drives really prefer to be Master, they could not work at all, especially
> > paired with another. I.e, never ever put a Seagate as a slave to a Maxtor
> > drive.
>
> The vast majority of the drives are Western Digital 'Caviars,' and I
> saw a couple of Quantums. Does that make a difference? Plus, pretty
> much every machine will have an IDE CDROM as well.

	Not with the WD,s they're about as compatible as you can get..
There may be some problems with the Quantum, try to make them slaves if
you can. For best performace I'd put the CDROM as a Secondary Slave,
the swap drive as a secondary master, and your regular drive as the
Primary master. This way your biggest performace hit will be when the
CDROM is accessed.

					Rick

---- "Religion exists because man can't belive that he's nothing more
then a random accident."