Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 22:13:37 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
Subject:   Re: cron's complaint

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 09:35:35PM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 12:33:35PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > On Tue, 04 Apr 2000 18:05:44 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> >
> > > CRON in malloc(): warning: pointer to wrong page.
> > > CRON in free(): warning: pointer to wrong page.

> Meanwhile, I'd really like to know how to get cron working without
> drowning me in hundreds of errors. I've rebooted since it started, and
> the errors are still being churned out. It feels like something's been
> changed permanently.

I made some cosmetic edits to the active lines in /etc/crontab and cron
stopped reporting those errors from that moment on. Later on, root
dutifully sent me my StarTrek Night reminder email courtesy of cron,
with no complaints.

Probably all that was significant was that the file was changed and
therefore re-read by cron. Might a corrupted crontab file in var cause this?
Damn, I should have kept a copy. My personal crontab was mucking up
too, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow before its jobs are due again.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-