Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 1996 10:48:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   tunefs.8c -o lacks syntax for keywords space and time

Current /usr/src/*/tunefs/tunefs.8c appears to be a bit damaged ...
The syntax :
	-o space
is not specified in the manual.  On very-current:
	     cd /usr/src/*/tunefs ; nroff -man *.8 | more
one gets:
	     -o optimize_preference
             The file system can either try to minimize the time spent allo-
             cating blocks, or it can attempt to minimize the space fragmenta-
             tion on the disk. Optimization for space has much higher overhead
             for file writes.  The kernel normally changes the preference au-
             tomatically as the percent fragmentation changes on the file sys-
             tem.

Notice the keywords space & time are not in bold or anything ?
doesnt appear documented anywhere what optimize_preference should be ?
(I just happen to remember space & time as keywords from the past).

This syntax is accepted though:
	tunefs -m 0 /dev/rsd2s2a
		tunefs: minimum percentage of free space changes from 8% to 0%
		tunefs: should optimize for space with minfree < 8%
	tunefs -o space  /dev/rsd2s2a
		tunefs: optimization preference changes from time to space

Admittedly my binary is a couple of weeks old, ditto my groff macros, but my
/usr/src/*/tunefs/tunefs.8c is within 12 hours of current (as of writing).

Maybe someone current could take a look ?

Julian
---
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org		http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/