Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:31:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kerneld for FreeBSD

> > > Not to mention "how much memory do you really gain by unloading modules"?
> > > Considering the price of RAM these days (although not as low as
> > > it was, but I won't be spending $650 US for 16M any time soon
> > > again), the few K that unloading a bunch of modules saves won't
> > > EVER really be noticed by the 83Tb chunk that Nutscrape allocates.
> > The issue is with really small ram embedded systems.
> > Making things CAPABLE of being small is different from making
> > them dynamicly loadable.
>
> Nobody in their right mind is going to produce a "really small ram"
> embedded system that features the sort of nondeterminism that
> "automatically" (read 'randomly') unloading modules would involve.

Gee, I guess you better tell the QNX folks that, who've been doing such
things for as long as you've been programming.  Everyone is an idiot or
a completely lunatic if they don't agree with you completely?

From the last week...

> The bulletheads will brand me a "libertarian" (not really correct),

> any sort of mandate to turn the Project into a bannana republic; all
> this talk going on is breeze between a small group of windy
> individuals who appear to be deluding themselves into thinking they
> speak for the rest of the community.

> I think that you're incredibly naive.

> This is all insane speculation, and totally off the mark.

> Many Americans think their version of democracy works fine, too.

> This is just a Really Pointless Idea.

> Nobody in their right mind is going to produce ...

Seems like everything is black/white for you lately Mike.  Thought about
taking a vacation to cool off and relax?

Nate