Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:38:54 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Juha.Nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>, Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: precisions of pcm driver problems and update of rec program

[snip interesting discussion]

Have you guys ever wished the sound-device would provide a VU-level
indicator for the generic mixers ? Without interfering with a recorder
process.

It could sample randomly over 10...50% of samples when rates are high, or
whatever, if the extra load is bothersome (and obviously only be
effective when the /dev/pcm/vumeter is open). I wonder how this kind of
additional device would fit in pcm driver.

There's a audio spectrum visualizer too, which I once wrote for Xlib
and fftw. Don't know if it's any good, but has been a handy tool
for miscellaneous twoway radio adjustments.
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/juha.nurmela/ascope5.c
(scope it is not, false name, yes)

Juha