Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:58:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Manar Hussain <manar@ivision.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Cacheable memory"??

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Manar Hussain wrote:

> re: PII vs K6-2
>
> We were makign the exact same decisions here and settled on the k6-2 as
> more cost effective but lower likely top performance.

So even though you can get more cache with the AMD, it's slower at the
same clocking as a PII?

> You can get boards with 2Mb of cache
> (http://www.anandtech.com/reviews/motherboards/california_graphics/photon100
> hc-1mb-atx.html)

The problem I have with this is "who is california graphics??"...  Where
were they a year ago and where will they be 3 years from now...

> It means that any RAM above that level can not be 2nd level cached - it's
> to do with how the cache works.

Does anyone know the performance impact this has on a typical
web/mail/news server?

> For something that is expected to be pushed in terms of hardware I'd say it
> was very important to try and get all the RAM 2nd level cacheable. A 1Mb
> board will *normally* be able to cache up to 256Mb of RAM.

Does anyone know what determines how much RAM is cacheable?  I've seen
different amounts with the same size cache.  Is it a chipset issue?  We
have a few machines that would really like about 512M of RAM, is it a
waste if it's not cacheable?

Thanks,

Charles