Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 13:39:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kazem Akbari <akbari@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
Cc:        akbari@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help to install FreeBSD on IDE systems

Please avoid extensive crossposts.  questions or support are enough.

On Wed, 29 May 1996, Kazem Akbari wrote:

> 	Processor: Pentium-166
> 	Motherboard: Endeavor II with Triton Chipset
> 	RAM: 32 EDO 60ns
> 	Hard-drive: 2.1 GB EIDE from Seagate
> 	CD-drive: 6x IDE from TEAC
> 	Graphics: Diamond Stealth-64 Video VRAM (model 3400 XL) 4 MB
> 	Monitor: CTX 1785GMe (1600x1280)
>
> I tried to install the Unix  system five times,  but since I got a IDE
> system I am not able to  install the package completely. For instance,
> I am not able to mount the "cdrom" and also I am not able to build the
> tools in the "/usr/ports" directory as  it is instructed by the manual
> (typing  "make" in every  sub-directory).  I have   heard all the  IDE
> systems are supported in the current  version of FreeBSD (2.1), but it
> seems something  is wrong with my own.  It will be greatly appreciated
> if you  kindly  direct me   to the  complete installation  of  my Unix
> system.

1.  Did you use the ATAPI.FLP boot floppy image?  If that doesn't work
try moving the CD around to two controllers or onto one.  Don't forget to
install the src/sys distribution; otherwise you won't get your CD back
after you get installed.  you need to rebuild the knerel to get ATAPI
support in since it's not included by default.

2. You don't need to 'make' the ports directory; that will build ALL the
ports.  You had better have several gigs to hold it all.  If you want to
build a specific port, go into the port's directory and type 'make'.  You
don't need to do it in each subdir.

Hope this helps.