Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 21:54:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Michael Knoll <knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, marquard@zilker.net
Subject:   Re: Partitioning

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Michael Knoll wrote:
    >
    > > Is it possible to change the size of slices in a partition without lossing
    > > data?  I'm pretty sure it can't be done, but I need to be sure, cause I

Not normally.

    > > don't want to reinstall, or have messy symbolic links everywhere.

Symlinks are your only option short of a back up, rebuild disks and
restore.

    > > What happened is my / slice is only 30 some megs, and when lynxs downloads
    > > a file, it puts it in /tmp, which is in /.  So, if I download anything
    > > about 30 megs(well, less than that) it fills /.

Try ncftp?

    > > Is there anyway to resize slices?  Or is the only options to add another
    > > harddrive, or a symbloic link /tmp to another slice?
    > Well, IMHO, you should add another drive (you DO need more space, don't
    > you?  ;) and make /tmp it's own filesystem.
    > Option 2) There should be an option in the lynx.cfg file (in
    > /usr/local/somethingorother) for where to put temporary files.

Just add a path to the front of the default file name lynx uses. It
asks you where you want to save it, after all.

    > 3) Don't hink ANY BSD can resize slice, but I know AIX could, even the

I think HP has licensed LVM (the AIX mechanism for expanding
filesystems.) In reality, though, it doesn't take much more time or
effort to move a directory to another filesystem and symlink back to
where you want to see it.

    > version 3.2.4 I used to admin.  No clue how, but maybe someone else knows?

Maps physical partitions (cylendars) to logical partitions that the
kernel sees.

    > Maybe, if it works, we should integrate it?

Too much pain for too little benefit.

    > Dave?  (our AIX developer-on-call)  Back me up or knock me down?
    >

    > > Thanks...
    > >
    > > Michael

    > |       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
    > * "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
    > | that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
    > *    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
    > |      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |

-- Jay