Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:30:14 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FQDN hostnames, Sendmail and SpamAssassin

-segmentation fault-
press any key to reboot
Damn damn damn freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org said, after
restarting his PC and mailer on Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 12:00 .

> Message: 12
> Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:37:36 -0500
> From: Eric Crist <mnslinky@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: FQDN Hostnames, Sendmail and Spamassassin.

> On Jul 30, 2007, at 6:23 PMJul 30, 2007, RW wrote:

> > I have my hostname in rc.conf defined as a FQDN - ending in a
> > dot. IIRC it's needed to prevent sendmail waiting a long time
> > for DNS if the network is unavailable at boot-time.

> > I recently noticed that when I send myself email through
> > sendmail I'm hitting this spamassassin test at my email
> > service:

> > 2.3 FH_HELO_ENDS_DOT       Helo ends with a dot

> > It doesn't actually matter to me, because I don't use sendmail
> > much, but what are the rights and wrongs of this? I was under
> > the impression that any name used in an helo/ehlo should be a
> > FQDN.

> AFAIK, an FQDN does not need to end with a dot.  While they do, by
> definition, end with a dot, that nomenclature is typically only used
> in DNS zone files.

> FWIW, I've never noticed a problem with slow boot when there's
> network problems. If you do notice problems, simply make an
> entry in the /etc/hosts file to map the local hostname to it's
> corresponding IP address.

> HTH.
>
> Eric Crist

In setting up a SuSE system [I have 2 linux systems I've had to
support] I found that I could not send any mail to any
MS based system.

The error message from MS ended with a period, but it looked
like it was the punctuation on a statement.

I found that the FQDN in the sendmail config file ended in
'.' - and all MS sites would reject that email because of the
trailing dot.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com