Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:18:16 -0700
From:      "Robert Stickney" <stickney@ece.arizona.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fdisk disagreas with BIOS over 120GB drive.

Fdisk (using /stand/sysinstall) disagrees with the values my bios is
reporting.  My BIOS reports that my 120GB drive has this geometry: 59131
Cylendars, 16 Heads, and 255 sectors.  The drive is an IBM deskstar.  When i
try to enter the correct geometry, Fdisk gives me the message below.

---------start message---------
 			        Message
     WARNING:  A geometry of 59131/16/255 for ad2 is incorrect.  Using
     a more likely geometry.  If this geometry is incorrect or you
     are unsure as to whether or not it's correct, please consult
     the Hardware Guide in the Documentation submenu or use the
     (G)eometry command to change it now.

     Remember: you need to enter whatever your BIOS thinks the
     geometry is!  For IDE, it's what you were told in the BIOS
     setup. For SCSI, it's the translation mode your controller is
     using.  Do NOT use a ``physical geometry''.
     (100%)
                                [  OK  ]
      			   Press enter or space

I am running freebsd 5.0.