Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 08:06:11 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de (Thomas Graichen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX Sound SystemTM (USS) Lite (Formerly VoxWare)

> oh no - please no more incomaptibelities - i don't see the problem - we would
> not put it into GENERIC and anybody may use it if he recompiles it in which w
> may describe very clear in the handbook - anybody who wanted to use FreeBSD i
> an commercial fashian may may licence the commercial version of uss (like don
> for instance with the xinside xserver in some linux distribs) - but i would

Sorry, but the copyright on this is simply egregious and I hardly wish to
encourage that kind of double-edged copyright in our source tree.  The
source is free but any binary I make I can't give to another person?
Geeze, talk about the GPL's evil twin!  Whatever happened to "give the
person a binary AND the source" as reasonable conditions?

Yes, we could certainly avoid putting this in GENERIC but then that
would utterly defeat our goals of making FreeBSD a complete multimedia
system out of the box.  I can think of nothing worse than application
writers starting to depend on USS, requiring a whole new generation of
users to become kernel hackers just to mate the two code bases by hand
(since WE would not be allowed to do so).  They may do this anyway,
but if it's not FreeBSD's default sound driver then we at least have
some small chance of people continuing to support TASD in order to run
their apps on FreeBSD and we don't have any of this merge crap to deal
with.

I will fight the inclusion of USS all the way.  Frankly, its
ridiculously byzantine "brick in a velvet glove" license makes me
nauseous.

						Jordan