Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:10:56 -0500
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        ben <ben@stonehenge-net.com>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internal antenna?  (was Re: usb 802.11b working?)

ben wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>

> > While being at it:
> >
> > When I bought my Dell Inspiron 8000 the sales person said something
> > like the antenna for wireless operation was already built in or
> > provided.
> <snip>
> > Is there something like 'internal antennas' in notebook computers?
>
> well, if apple can do it, so can dell, right?  my c600 has nothing like
> this, and i imagine that you'd need a special card (just as you do with
> apple).  maybe he meant for bluetooth?

I have a C800 with a builtin antenna for 802.11. You have to get the miniPCI
card option for it, the antenna doesn't work with PCCARDs. I like this option a
lot, its better than fidling with a seperate card, but the downside is that you
can't get the internal ethernet/modem at the same time. So if you need both
wireless and wired access you're going to need a seperate PCCARD either way.