Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:15:20 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        remy@synx.com
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Idle loop in SMP.

> (Forwarded to -current, due to lack of audience in -smp. Sorry for
> bothering you).

Wrong course of action.  This should have stayed on -smp.

> While investigating a temperature problem, I seen that the default_halt
> entry called for an idle processor do not really halt the processor. I
> found the reason on the CVS logs and it is intended to react to changes
> made on the run queue by the other processor. (i386/i386/swtch.s, 1.61).
>
> Since this is dated Sept 97, can we expect a better solution regarding
> the progress made in the SMP area ?

Such as what?  Any other solution adds overhead (eg. sending an IPI to a
halted processor), and the rationale for SMP would seem to be performance,
not economy.

Naturally, patches that actually halted the idle CPUs and woke them in an
efficient fashion would be accepted, but I don't think that anyone
actively working on SMP currently considers this a major problem.  (Hence
the lack of response to your original post.)