Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:50:59 +0900
From:      Rob Lahaye <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        MArek <marekd@enter.net.pl>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X Server and LCD

MArek wrote:
> HELO,
>
> My old CRT is a bit broken so I decided to buy new screen. I d like to get
> an LCD monitor. I also use FreeBSD , X ver.4.2 server and GNOME 2.2.
> And now my question: Do I have to setup my X for that monitor, or maybe just
> change name, vendor, refresh modes  in my XF86Config ?
> I am not going to use DVI....

MArek,

This may not be the optimal way of using your LCD, but it
works for me and I'm not at all an expert on this!

I have an LG Flatron L1810B. I also had no idea what to do
with the X configuration, but eventually I figured following
would do the trick:
  when running the Xfree86 configuration program, I
  choose ONLY the 1280x1024 mode (which is the resolution
  mode in the LCD manual).

  The Hor./Vert. sync values in my case are:
    HorizSync   30-80
    VertRefresh 56-85

Modelines are not explicitly defined in my configure file,
but are apparently automagically calculated by XFree according
to the "1280x1024" mode string.

If you wish, I can send you my XF86Config file.

Regards,
Rob.