Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2008 00:29:20 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Wojciech Puchar" <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>, <illoai@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
Subject:   RE: formatting disk for FreeBSD : Detecting IDE Primary Master ... [Press F4 to skip]

This isn't true.  FreeBSD cannot use the CMD640 controller, as
that controller has a hardware bug that will corrupt the filesystem.
Unfortunately that controller was popular on Pentium 75/90/100
motherboards.  The old wd disk driver contained a workaround for
this bug but the workaround was never carried forward into the
ata driver.

Ted