Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:59:30 +0200
From:      peter@bsdly.net (Peter N. M. Hansteen)
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: home multipurpose gateway/router/server setup help

"Moisa Teodor" <moisadoru@gmail.com> writes:

> I read somewhere that i need to recompile
> the kernel and enable packet filtering and firewall (the tutorial i used is
> located here http://www.lugbe.ch/lostfound/contrib/freebsd_router/).

That article describes FreeBSD 5.1, which probably means it's a couple
of years old at least.  Also, it describes IPFW, which is a bit more
cumbersome to config than PF.  Unless I'm terribly mistaken, running
PF on recent FreeBSDs does not require a kernel recompile.

My suggestion is that if you want to run PF on your FreeBSD box,
you're better off browsing http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/, and you'll
figure out rather easily what you need to do. (Yes, that's a tutorial
I wrote and update occasionally).