Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 00:46:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Makefile help

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Jim Mock wrote:

> > Everyone's allowed to make every mistake ONCE.  Go find another
> > mistake to make (that one is now taken!)
> >

> Already have =P  Even though it's now installing and playing nice with
> the X prefix, make deinstall is trying to remove
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libworkman.so.1 but it's not specified in the PLIST.
> Here's the relevant part of PLIST..
>
> lib/libworkman.so
> lib/libworkman.so.1.4

It's a new elf world out there, friend, and elf libs have only ONE
version number.  Install a lib/libworkman.so.1 and change your PLIST.

bsd.port.mk, if it detects an elf system (and you're in elf mode, as
defined by objformat) then it will auto-truncate the lib name.  If
you're installing a lib/libworkman.so.1.4, that's a boo-boo.

These are good questions, and you asking them is (hopefully, I'm an
optimist) stopping someone else who IS clueless but WON'T ask, from
turning in a hopelessly damaged port.  You wouldn't believe the kind of
stuff some folks turn in.

Point of quality control:  Your port should:

1) install without errors
2) make package without errors
3) make deinstall without errors, and then
4) portlint without errors.

Follow those rules, and you'll actually have trouble turning in a bad
port.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).